Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Bhendi Bhaja


Another one in the "Bhaja" aka "Shallow fried" series. Ladies-finger was not in my list of favorite foods for a long time. I tried making it once right after I arrived in DC after wedding and hated the slime associated with this veggie - of course I did not know how to work around it!

When my mom and dad were visiting me for the first time, Maa made it and I loved it even more than the non-veg preparations. Ever since, this is a definite item in my grocery list. So the trick to use it is to clean it before chopping and wipe it dry. Then cut it as required with quick brisk cuts and stir-fry them till the sliminess vanishes. I either cut them into pieces as shown in the pic or into long slices. Love it either way and keep making them inter-changeably.


  • Heat 1 tbsps Canola oil. 
  • Add 3-4 dry Bay leaves, 2-3 dry Red Chillies and a pinch of Cumin seeds and let them sizzle. 
  • Add the chopped Lady Fingers (about 20-30 medium-sized ones - I pick the soft to touch ones - Use your civic sense and please don't break them to select for shopping though that is the best way to determine good ones! If you break them, buy them - don't leave them for others - ewe!). 
  • Add Salt as per taste and 1/2-1 tsp of Turmeric Powder.
  • Stir fry in High Heat till it looks half-cooked and the spluttering of oil stops.
  • Cover them for 2-3 mins for it to cook well. 
  • Based on how you like them, cook in High heat for added crunchiness and Low heat for softer ones. 

Serve it as a side-dish with Rice or Roti. I usually like them with Rice\Dal or Rice\Mutton Curry or Rice\Fish curry. Enjoy!

A similar Bhendi Bhaja recipe was posted here earlier on.

4 comments:

R.Punitha said...

Hi Sorisha,

Looks Delicious !!!

Perfect presentation:)

Keep up this good work Dear..

www.southindiafoodrecipes.blogspot.in

Sanoli Ghosh said...

Goes well with dal rice. Crisp one.

Home Cooked Oriya Food said...

I love this bhindi fry too...
Easy and yummy!

kate said...

Loooks yummy and easy to make.